There was a windmill at the foot of the Möhlenbarg from 1830, but unlike the windmill today, this one was still thatched. Next to it there was a house, a barn and a pigsty. In April 1891 the mill burned down completely, but the house could be saved. In the same year, the present mill was built further up the slope and named “Margaretha” after the miller’s wife. After operation ceased in 1965 and parts of the mill were dismantled, the building has been lovingly restored by the present owner since 1991. As a result, the Margaretha windmill is the only mill in Stapelholm that still has grinding gears, peeling machines and wind-powered blades.
Wind power was used to grind here until 1957, when the blades, cap and wind rose were removed. These have since been reinstalled as part of the restoration work. The blades are also strung on special occasions, and so one can again frequently observe the mill blades turning in the wind. At the moment, grain can be ground with a small grinding gear driven by an electric motor, but at one point in the future, the mill should also be able to grind with wind again.
Take a look inside the mill on the homepage.